When I started to explore alternative workouts my first instinct was to turn my attention to my yoga practice. I had always loved it but never made enough time for it. That was a great first step and it literally brought me back to the joy of working out. Then as I started to think outside the box I kept adding on. So here is the scoop on the next stop in my journey – pole dancing at City Pole Tribeca.
FULL DISCLOSURE – I have been trying a lot of new studios and gyms and City Pole really hooked me with their pole and aerial silks classes. I am beyond excited to share about this!!
Why do I love pole or more specifically City Pole Tribeca? Here it is in a nutshell:
- The CEO and Founder, Kylee Sallak is hands on in creating a very unique pole studio. The emphasis is on community, support, confidence and a non competitive environment. Unlike other pole studios that can be intimidating City Pole encourages everyone to find their inner dancer and athlete.
- I have found a place in NYC where I can go get a challenging and fun workout with a supportive community of women (polers). I decided to put pole dancing on my list because it is different. I kept coming back for different reasons. I loved that I found a place where I could challenge myself, get back to loving my body and feel athletic, confident — dare I say sexy all at the same time.
- There is a feeling of sisterhood. I showed some of my pictures and videos to friends and family. A lot of women said they could never walk around in the booty shorts. They would feel so self-conscious in this situation. This is a requirement as you need your skin on the pole. The truth is everyone has body issues. We all wish were a little more than we are. When I am at City Pole I know I am in a safe and loving space where I am going to be cheered on. How great is that?
- It is so much fun! You may decide to go there to get in shape if a standard gym is not for you. You may be athletic or trying to be athletic. All of those things are true. The difference here is that you get to bring your own personality and flair to this sport. It’s not like a deadlift. A deadlift is a deadlift for the most part. A dip turn or a pole sit requires a lot of strength and agility. However, I make it my own. It’s my way of owning what my body can do!
- Pole is not moving meditation the way running is for me. I am not working things out in my brain while I am at pole. However, I AM thinking about exactly what my next move needs to be. I am thinking about the placement of my arms and legs. I am thinking about pointing my toes. I am in feeling the music. I am IN THE MOMENT.
I have now taken one intro class in Aerial Silks and 5 pole classes. I loved the aerial silk classes but I only have so many hours in the week so initially I decided to focus on building on pole skills. City Pole is awesome in that the classes are small, you will have your own pole as well as lots of instruction if you are having trouble with a skill. But….the best part may be that by the end of even an introductory class you will be able to string together a short routine. The more you learn the more you want to learn (at least that is true for me). Kylee is hands on in all aspects of her studio. She is so passionate about what she has to offer her community that it is infectious.
Additionally, each class ends with 5 minutes of moving meditation led by the instructor on the floor. This is such a welcome addition. Kylee set her studio up this way in order to offer her clientele a small respite in their hectic day. As she told me, we as New Yorkers rarely stop throughout our day and offer ourselves that peaceful time.
Currently, the studio is expanding to meet the demand for more classes and I am not surprised. It is totally addictive! There are a lot of choices for class times both early and late. They even have showers available if you need to head straight to work or anywhere else right after class.
The first class is only $25 and they have a a variety of packages. OH – and pole parties! Birthday, bachelorette, any excuse to get your girls together! I am thinking I need to plan one for September…you only turn 46 once! Might as well be 46, fabulous and fierce!
Don’t take my word for it though, check them out for yourself and tel them I sent you!!
8 Beach Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10013