Hot Power Yoga
In The Dark – Nothing but candlelight
I’m in love!!
So, let me admit I tried this yoga studio because it has a great hook and I thought it would be fun to write about it. The hook is good. Hot power yoga to hip hop is a massive idea. The part about it being by candlelight initially slipped by me. If I am being completely honest that may be my favorite aspect of the studio. Let’s talk about it!
Y7 is way more hip than I am! They have several studios in Manhattan, Brooklyn and LA. I have practiced at their location on East 11th Street, a stone’s throw from the apartment of my youth. This location has changing rooms and a dry bar to pull yourself together but no shower. Other locations have showers if that is a deal breaker for you. I am used to pulling my sweaty self together so this suits me fine!
Here is what I love:
– Hot power yoga for 60 minutes. The class is basically broken down into 3 flows. Each is led by the instructor BUT the last flow in each sequence you lead yourself. This allows for you to put your big girl (or boy) panties on and flow they way your body wants to. The first time around I felt panic. Am I going to remember everything?? Will I miss something? Yikes! No worries…its all good. This is a great practice in learning to trust yourself.
– The sequences are not always exactly the same. There are some elements that are constant but there is not the feeling that you know which pose is coming next. Al too often in yoga class, and in life, we grow accustomed to routine and start to fall into patterns. This does not allow you to do so.
– The class is physically challenging and both my visits requited me to do work my body has been needing – balance and isolating movements.
– The music is great and definitely fits the classes. I rarely practice to music and I would say the music definitely helped my flow!
– The candlelight practice that I assumed was a “hook” may be the BEST part. I can’t tell you how many times I have hear an instructor say to not worry about looking to the left or the right of you mat. I can’t tell you how often they remind us to practice where your body is and not worry about what the person on the next mat s doing. In this case well there is not too much of that because it is pretty dark. I don’t mean you cant see anything. I mean the low light puts you in a very singular frame of mind. I was not looking left and right. It makes the class more intimately YOURS.
– The gear for sale is AWESOME! I wanted to buy it all. It’s not my home base studio so I felt a little like a fraud so I did not. I have a feeling we are at the beginning of a long relationship though so I think I may pick up a shirt next time. ☺
So, get out there and try something new. Practice diversity in your workout. Its so liberating and exhilarating. Life is meant to be lived out loud! Flow hard!
Don’t take my word for it…check them out for yourself! There are lots of locations in the NYC area. http://www.y7-studio.com
Love and light