As I made my do list of classes to try SUP yoga popped into my brain fairly early. I mean I love summer and yoga so why not combine the two. I have been meaning to try it all season but things kept getting in the way. So, last Friday night my kids left for vacation with their dad and I had no plans to speak of so I made it my business to wake up early Saturday morning and head to the Jersey shore for the day.
I went online to book my class with Endless Summer SUP in Belmar on Friday afternoon. The 10:30am class was waitilisted but I signed up anyway. I then called and they found a way to accommodate me as I explained I am coming from Staten Island and my schedule is tight. So, before I even got there I was happy and impressed.
Here is the 411 on how the class works, what to expect and why you should venture to one of these classes.
– Before class you get a board, instruction on how to set your paddle and how to eventually anchor into your spot where you will be practicing.
– As there are 7 people in the class you get to paddle around the lake (no you don’t do SUP yoga in the ocean at Belmar – we practiced at nearby Lake Como)
– When you set your anchor out it seems as if you will float away because well we are all doubting Thomas’ and the rope seems quite long but I promise you won’t go too far once you are anchored
– This class truly will help with balance and focus, which is after all 2 extremely important aspects of yoga.
– It is so peaceful to practice in nature on the water, truly very special
– The hardest part is the standing postures
– As you go through your sun salutations you definitely start to feel more comfortable standing on the board – downward dog definitely feels safe while getting you comfortable with being both upside down out there and having your feet on the board
– I saw a lot of first time SUP yogis doing their headstands out there. So, if you have a pose in your practice on land you can definitely do it on the board
– The instructor, Shannon, was lovely! She was very encouraging, helpful and took tons of pictures that she sent to everyone which is SO NICE!
Big thumbs up all around here. Take a step outside of your comfort zone! They offer this class and a whole lot more! Check them out at:
Love and light,